Immigration Medical Examinations

Generally, all applicants filing for adjustment of status (Form I-485) must take the immigration medical examinations and submit Form I-693 completed by a designated civil surgeon. Be aware of that you cannot go to a personal doctor to have a medical exam for immigration purposes unless your doctor is a designated civil surgeon.

Where to find civil surgeons?

You can go to to find qualified immigration doctors (civil surgeons) in the US.

If you are outside of the United States, the Department of State will instruct you to have a medical exam conducted by a
Panel Physician overseas prior to receiving your visa.

Where to file the form I-693?

You, the applicant, not the civil surgeon, are required to submit the Form I-693 to USCIS.

After completion of the medical examination, the civil surgeon is required to give you, the applicant, the completed Form I-693 in a sealed envelope. Do not accept it if it is not in a sealed envelope. USCIS will return the form to you if it is not in an envelope or if the envelope has been opened or altered.

If you are applying for adjustment of status: Submit Form I-693 together with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, as detailed in the instructions to Form I-485.

Other applicants: Follow the instructions on or included with the application or the instructions given to you by the office requesting the medical examination.